Career Development Specialist
At Mount Vernon Nazarene University
Hours: Full Time
Career Development Specialist
Mount Vernon Nazarene University exists to shape lives through educating the whole person and cultivating Christ-likeness for lifelong learning and service.
Mount Vernon Nazarene University (MVNU) is an intentionally Christian teaching university for traditional age students, graduate students, and working adults who seek opportunities to learn and grow in an academic community of faith. The University provides the context for a transformational experience through excellent academics, service opportunities, caring relationships, and a nurturing spiritual and social environment. Faculty, staff, and students are challenged to achieve their highest potential, to become increasingly Christ-like, and to make a difference in their world through lifelong service.
The University seeks a full-time, 12-month, Career Development Specialist for its Career Development Office on the Mount Vernon main campus. The position reports to the Director of Career Development and is available immediately, upon appointment of a successful candidate. The University pay grade for this position is “D,” with a starting rate of $16.77 an hour, which may be adjusted based on qualifications and experience. A full complement of benefits is provided including a health care plan, retirement contributions, and tuition assistance, each subject to associated waiting periods. The candidate will also receive generous holidays, and vacation and sick days will be earned on an accrual basis.
Responsibilities for this position include:
• Provide career development services (cover letter and resume writing, networking, interviewing, professional social media presence, etc.) individually and in group presentations to all MVNU student populations. This includes limited travel to other MVNU campuses. (This portion of the job will increase over time.)
• Develop strategies to drive students and alumni to the Career Development online job postings. Within the parameters of the Title III grant, this position will transition to administer the online job postings.
• Research employer relations best practices to develop and expand MVNU’s career development outreach to local and state employers.
• Design and pilot alumni and student networking through events, internships, job shadowing, and professional mentoring.
• Review best practices in e-portfolios and on social media sites like Linked-In to create a student user guide and a faculty user guide as well as to design student and faculty workshops.
• Create and pilot an undeclared academic advising program, coordinated with the Director of Career Development’s career class for undeclared majors.
• Create customized career advising resources for liberal arts and sciences majors and faculty. This project may expand to other academic programs.
• Collaborate with faculty departments to review current internship processes and potentially design or update the student internship process. Pilot a “for experience” (no credit) internship.
• Research best practices on career and exploration fairs and then design and implement a liberal arts and sciences fair or other similar event to better prepare these students for their post college career.
• Research and pilot new technologies to expand MVNU online access opportunities for major exploration and confirmation and to develop online career resources such as resume and cover letter writing that serve both Graduate and Professional Studies students and traditional in-seat students.
• Collaborate with colleagues in the Center for Student Success, GPS academic services unit, and faculty.
• This position is partially grant-funded for two years and partially University-funded, so the job duties include both developmental and operational priorities during that time.
• Other duties as assigned.
Expectations for the successful candidate:
• Evangelical Christian statement of faith, experience and mission fit
• Master’s degree in education or counseling preferred
• 1-3 years of experience serving students in higher education, preferably in career services or student development
• Certification or experience with career development assessments such as the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), Strong Interest Inventory, StrengthsQuest or StrengthsFinder, etc. preferred
• Employer relations experience preferred
• Familiarity and experience with best practices in career development resources, software or apps, and social media
• Strong skills using Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) and new software programs
• Excellent collaborative teamwork skills and relationship building expertise
• Adaptability to changing priorities and projects
• Superb verbal and written communication skills
• Enjoys problem-solving and creative solutions
• Aptitude for multi-tasking and organizational detail
• Ability to visit MVNU locations for GPS activities
• Must be capable of sitting, walking, or standing for long periods of time, frequent use of stairs, ability to lift 50-70 pounds.
To be considered for this position, please email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the application, found at: http://mvnu.edu/jobs . Applicants submitting materials via email should attach either a Microsoft Word or .PDF File. Alternatively, materials can be faxed to (740-397-1005), or mailed to:
Mount Vernon Nazarene University
800 Martinsburg Road
Mount Vernon, OH 43050
Professional and personal references are required, consistent with the responsibilities associated with this position. A background check will be performed prior to appointment. Mount Vernon Nazarene University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or military service in administering its employment policies and practices. As a religious educational institution under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, the University is permitted by law to consider religious beliefs/practices in making employment decisions and does so to achieve its mission. The University requires as a condition of employment that all employees subscribe to standards of the Church of the Nazarene and conduct their lives in accordance therewith.